Today is our last day of classes for the semester! I still have three final papers due after today, but at least don’t have class now too. I recently discovered a documentary channel on YouTube called Real Stories, and in the last couple of days I’ve watched videos on young nuns, bipolar disorder, unusual marriages, anorexia, transgender kids, and childhood obesity. I feel like I have too much information in my brain and I need to watch some New Girl to cleanse my mind.
We made slow cooker gumbo and a lager version of a Bloody Mary for dinner tonight to celebrate, and it was so good. Traditional gumbo has okra and roux, but our grocery store in Salt Lake doesn’t really carry okra and we’re trying to eat cleaner so we went roux-less, but they’re both delicious in it so if you want to add them, you won’t be disappointed.
SLOW COOKER GUMBO
INGREDIENTS: One pound of chicken breast cut into small pieces, one pound raw shrimp without shells and tails, one pound of andouille smoked sausage, one and one third cup of cooked rice, half of an onion diced, one diced green pepper, one diced jalapeno pepper, three ribs of diced celery, one 28 ounce can of diced tomatoes, two cups of chicken broth, three teaspoon of minced garlic, one tablespoon of Cajun spice, one teaspoon thyme, one teaspoon oregano, french bread (optional)
- In the slow cooker, combine all ingredients except rice and shrimp.
- Cook on high 4-6 hours.
- The last hour of cooking, salt shrimp lightly and add to slow cooker. In the last half hour, cooked rice and set aside.
- Serve gumbo warm over rice with french bread.
BLOODY BEER MARY
INGREDIENTS: Bloody Mary mix, Uinta Lime pilsner, sea salt, Cajun seasoning, pickles, one lemon
- Dampen rim of Mason jar and roll across sea salt and Cajun seasoning.
- Mix one cup Bloody Mary mix with one cup beer (can vary depending on the ratio you like)
- Top with pickles and lemon slice.